U.S. English Foundation Research
LegislationThe Order Of Realization Of The Control Over The Language Act Fulfillment
The decree of the Government of the Estonian Republic
Passed June 11, 1996, Nr. 161 (RT I 1996, 45, 859)
Entered into force July 2, 1996
Based on the Article 28 of the Language Act, the Government of the Estonian Republic decides:
To assert the Order of Realization of the Control over the Language Act fulfillment
The Prime-minister T. Vahi
The Minister of Education Y. Aaviksoo
The State Secretary U. Veering
1. In accordance with the Language Act and other legal acts regulating the use of language, the inspectors of the Language Inspection (further "the Language Inspection officials") control fulfillment of the Language Act and supervise the language use. (vm, October 23, 1997, No 203, in force from November 1, 1997)
2. In case of law infringement in the field of language, the Language Inspection officials use influence measures provided by the Code of Administrative Law Infringements and the present Order.
3. Under supervision of the Language Act and other acts regulating the use of language the Language Inspection officials check the maintenance of the Estonian language use requirements:
4. The Language Inspection officials check the fulfillment of the language use requirements in official communication and when transmitting the information:
5. The Language Inspection officials check correspondence of the official language usage to the norms of the Estonian literal language:
6. The Language Inspection officials check the language proficiency of the employees at the state institutions, local authorities and institutions within their jurisdiction also commercial, non-governmental and aim institutions.
7. The Language Inspection officials have the right to:
8. The Language Inspection official is obliged to:
9. The persons can complain to the principal of the Language Inspection in order to dispute what is brought in part 7.1 of the present order within 10 days starting from the day of the action. The complaint suspends the fulfillment until the argument is set, but does not prevent the person from turning to the court in order to defend his rights. (vm, October 23, 1997, No. 23, in force from November 1, 1997)
10. The principal of the Language Department must give an answer to the complaint within one month since it had been applied.
Source: Unofficial translation
Official Language Research
Foundation Newsletters Looking for the most current happenings at the Foundation? Read all about our exciting news, most recent developments and latest stories here. You can also access a "Free English Language Learning Resources on the Internet" brochure here. Learn English for FREE The U.S. English Foundation offers access to free English language lessons via U.S.A. LEARNS, an educational resource for adult immigrants who want to learn or improve their English skills as they become part of American society. Create an account with U.S.A. LEARNS for FREE.